PayPal Payments Advanced is a gateway that allows you to seamlessly integrate credit card processing into your checkout. This product combines a Merchant Account and Payment Gateway into one cost-effective solution for the United States and Canada.
- Low cost
- Seamless integration
- Easier PCI compliance
- Combines Merchant Account and Payment Gateway
To learn more about PayPal Advanced, see: PayPal Payments Advanced.
Installation ↑ Back to Top
- Download the .zip file from your WooThemes account.
- Go to: WordPress Admin > Plugins > Add New to upload the file you downloaded with Choose File.
- Activate the extension.
More information at:.
Sign up for PayPal Payments Advanced ↑ Back to Top
To use the PayPal Payments Advanced extension, you need a Merchant account. Go to PayPal Advanced and submit an application.
If you do not have a live PayPal Payments Advanced account, you can use the Test account by following instructions at: Testing with the Payflow gateway.
Setup and Configuration ↑ Back to Top
To set up PayPal Payments Advanced for your WooCommerce store:
- Go to: WooCommerce > Settings.
- Go to: Checkout > PayPal Advanced.
- Tick the Enable checkbox to use this payment method.
- Enter a Title and Description to be shown during checkout.
- Enter Merchant Login, Partner, User and Password to match your PayPal Payments Advanced account.
- Tick the Enable PayPal Sandbox checkbox if you are in test (not live) mode.
- Select Transaction Type as Authorization or Sale (or Authorize & Capture).
- If set to Authorization, the payment is authorized but not completed. You need to manually Capture.
- If set to Sale, it automatically captures payment. This is the recommended setting.
8. Select Layout A, B or C.
9. Tick the Mobile Mode checkbox to activate responsive layout.
10. Enter an Invoice Prefix (optional). This is helpful if you’re using the same PayPal account for more than one website/store.
11. Select custom colors for Page Collapse Border, Page Collapse Text, Page Button Background, Page Button and Label Text (optional).
12. Tick the Enable Logging checkbox to help troubleshoot issues (optional but recommended).
13. Save changes.
Set up PayPal Manager ↑ Back to Top
Setting up a different PayPal Manager user for your store account is recommended, as you may be prompted monthly to change the root user account and then change it in your PayPal Payments Advanced extension settings.
To get started, log in at: PayPal Manager.
Your account will remain in Test mode until activated with a purchase.
- Go to: Service Settings > Set Up
- Enter text for Cancel URL (optional), e.g., Cancel and return to the site.
- Set Cancel URL and Error URL to your site URL, e.g., http://www.yoursite.com. This satisfies PayPal requirements, so URLs are dynamically created and sent to PayPal with the transaction request.
- Select Payment Confirmation > On My Website
- Select Yes for Silent Post for Data Transfer >Use Silent Post.
- Tick the checkbox for Void transaction when my server fails to receive data sent by the silent post.
- Select: Billing Information > CSC to show CSC/CVV field on the payment page.
No need to enter URLs for Enter Silent Post URL and Return URL when Silent Post Fails, as they’re prepared dynamically and sent with the transaction request.
There are three ways PayPal Advanced can appear on the Checkout Page: Two layouts are onsite in iFrames; one is offsite. It also depends on what the user chooses during payment. See the FAQs below.
- Go to: Account Administration > Manage Security > Transaction Settings
- Select Yes for Allow reference transactions. This enables refunds.
FAQs ↑ Back to Top
Do I need a Payflow account?
No. The necessary account is included at no additional charge. When you sign up for a PayPal Payments Advanced account, it also walks you through creating the appropriate Payflow account credentials you need.
Do I need an SSL Certificate?
An SSL certificate is not required for this extension. However, it is recommended that you use an SSL certificate for an added layer of security and/or if you or visitors receive mixed content warnings.
PayPal has given us and our customers conflicting information. To repeat, it’s NOT required. But having one will ensure that everything works.
More info about SSL certificates and HTTPS at: SSL and HTTPS guide.
Why does selecting PayPal or Bill Me Later direct offsite?
Is PayPal currently a US-only service?
No. People worldwide can make purchases using PayPal Payments Advanced. The exception is the Bill Me Later payment method, which is only supported for US buyers.
Why am I getting ‘User Authentication Denied’ errors during checkout?
I am getting User Authentication Failed Error, what went wrong?
Why is the CSC/CVV field not showing on the payment page?
You need to enable/set in SetUp Page > Billing Information.
What kind of refunds does PayPal Advanced support?
What do these PayPal error codes mean?
If there are errors on checkout pages or in your admin, see: API Error and Warning Codes. In most cases, contacting PayPal with your error code is the required course of action.
Questions & Feedback ↑ Back to Top
Please contact WooThemes Support.