Settings ↑ Back to Top
WooCommerce > Settings >Products> Downloadable Products contains several downloadable product options. The most important option is the file download method:
You have three choices:
- Redirect only – When users download a file, their link redirects to the file.
- Force download – File downloads are forced, using PHP.
- X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile – Downloads are handled by the server (nginx/apache). This method requires the X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile module be installed and enabled on the server. Confirm with your web host that one of these modules is installed before using this method for your store.
To ensure files are protected from direct linking, Force Download can be used. Files will be served by PHP. However, if your files are large, or the server is underpowered, you may experience timeouts during download. In this case, you need to either look at your server or use the redirect method.
If your server supports it, use X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile; it’s the most reliable method because the file is served directly to the customer, and gives you the best performance. Files are also protected by an .htaccess file, making it secure.
The next option is Must be logged in to download files. This only allows logged-in users to download. Guest checkout would need to be disabled.
Setting up downloadable products ↑ Back to Top
Downloadable Simple Products
To get started:
- Create a simple product the regular way but tick the Downloadable checkbox:
After ticking this box, extra options appear:
2. Upload a file and click Insert to set up each downloadable file URL. Match the URL of the product to the URL of your site. (i.e., if you have a www in your site URL, then make sure that is in the file URL.)
– In version 2.0+, you can enter one per line
– In prior versions, you could only set up one file per product. If you need to add multiple files in older version, ‘zip’ the files into one package.
3. Enter the Download Limit (optional). Once the user hits this limit, they can no longer download the file.
4. Enter the Download Expiry. If you define a number of days, download links expire after that.
5. Select the Download Type from the dropdown.
As soon as you change an uploaded file or upload a new file, the Download Expiry and Download Limit are reset because it’s technically a new file. This is the intended behavior.
Variable products can also have downloadable variations. When adding a variation tick the Downloadable checkbox and more options appear.
Options work the same as regular products: Set the file path, optionally choose a download limit and expiry, and save.
Combining downloadable and virtual products
If you tick the Downloadable checkboxes, products can have stock and are treated as physical products. This allows you to sell downloads and real products together.
If you want to add/sell a downloadable product that is not physical, also enable the Virtual option.
The order process ↑ Back to Top
The order process for downloadable products is:
- User adds product to their cart.
- Users checks out and pays.
- After payment, several things can happen depending on your setup:
- If items in the order are all downloadable + virtual, the order will complete.
- If items are physical and downloadable/virtual, the order will be processing until you change it.
- Once complete, or if the option “Grant access to downloadable products after payment” is enabled, the user can:
- Be granted download permission
- See download links on the order received page
- See download links in their email notification
- See download links on their ‘My Account’ page if logged in
Users can then download files.
Managing orders with downloadable line items
If you edit/view an order with downloadable products, the downloadable products meta box contains user permissions:
By editing this panel, you can modify a user permissions or revoke access to files. You can also grant access to new downloads.
FAQ ↑ Back to Top
Why does WooCommerce link to the URL of the file?
When setting up your downloadable product, ensure that the downloadable file settings use the same URL formatting that your site does. Make sure that it matches the site URL in your WordPress settings. (i.e., If www is in your site URL, it needs to be in the file URL).
Why don’t I see a file link on the order received page?
If you are using PayPal, there is a delay when using the IPN to track payments. You can instead enable Payment Data Transfer (PDT) by going to gateway settings and selecting it as the PayPal Identity Token.
Payment Data Transfer (PDT) is a notification service that, once activated, can send transaction-related information immediately to merchants who are using PayPal payment buttons (PayPal Payments Standard). Merchants can display these transaction details on their website to confirm the buyer’s payment was successful.
Can I use cloud storage to store my files and downloads?
Most definitely! WooCommerce only needs an external URL that points to your digital download file. If it is a valid external download URL, then WooCommerce works perfectly. There is no further validation.