PayPal Advanced is a gateway that allows you to seamlessly integrate credit card processing into your checkout. This product combines a Merchant Account and Payment Gateway into one cost-effective solution.
- Low cost
- Seamless integration
- Easier PCI compliance
- Combines Merchant Account and Payment Gateway
Learn more and signup: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-payments-advanced
Installing PayPal Advanced ↑ Back to Top
- Purchase and download the plugin zip file from WooThemes
- Login to your WordPress Admin. Click on Plugins >> Add New from the left hand menu
- Click on the “Upload” option, then click “Browse” to select the zip file from your computer. Once selected, press “OK” and press the “Install Now” button.
- Activate the plugin.
- Open the settings page for WooCommerce and click the “Payment Gateways” tab
- Click on the sub tab for “PayPal Advanced”
- Configure your PayPal Advanced settings. See below for details.
Signing up for PayPal Advanced ↑ Back to Top
- Go to their signup page and follow the instructions for submitting an application
Signing up for a Test Account
- This follows the same process to set up a full account (above), just stop short of submitting payment
- Create a PayPal Sandbox account https://developer.paypal.com/ , create a new sandboxed merchant account and a sandboxed personal account. (record the email and details outputted)
WooCommerce Configuration ↑ Back to Top
- Enable the Gateway from the WooCommerce>>Settings>>Payment Gateways
- Input settings to match those set in your PayPal Advanced account.
- Authorization or Sale – (sometimes referred to as Authorize & Capture)
- If you have it set to “Authorization”, the payment will be authorized but not completed, you would need to manually “Capture”
- If it is set to “Sale” then it will also capture the payment (this is the usual and recommended setting)
Click image to see full settings
PayPal Manager Configuration ↑ Back to Top
- This service uses PayPal Manager, sign in at https://manager.paypal.com
- It is recommended to set up another PayPal Manager user for use with your account as you may be prompted monthly to change the root user account and would then have to change it in the WooCommerce settings as well
Step 1: Setup
- Transaction Process Mode should set to “Live”. (Note: your account will technically remain in Test mode until activated with a purchase)
- Set “Enter Text for Cancel URL” to some meaning text. For example: Cancel and return to the site. (Note: It is optional)
- Set Cancel URL and Error URL to your site URL (e.g. http://www.limecuda.com). This is to satisfy the norms of the PayPal. Actually we dynamically create the URLs and send to the PayPal along with the transaction request.
- On PayPal Manager->Service Settings->Set Up
- You need to have “Payment Confirmation->On My Website” checked
- On “Silent Post for Data Transfer->Use Silent Post” should be set to “Yes”(if using plugin version >=1.7.5), otherwise “No”.
- Please check “Void transaction when my server fails to receive data sent by the silent post.” (if using plugin version >=1.7.5)
- No need to mention any URLS for “Enter Silent Post URL” and “Return URL when Silent Post fails”. Because we handle them programatically. Means that we prepare them dynamically and send them along with the transaction request.
FAQs ↑ Back to Top
PayPal Error Codes ↑ Back to Top
If you are seeing errors on your checkout pages or in your admin please review this document http://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/ebook/PP_APIReference/Appx-ErrorCodes_and_Messages.html. In most cases contacting PayPal with your error code will be the required course of action.
Do I need an SSL Certificate? ↑ Back to Top
As we mention earlier in this document :
Having an SSL certificate is not required for this extension. It is, however, recommended that you employ an SSL certificate if you or your visitors receive “mixed content” warnings in your web browser (adding an extra layer of security couldn’t hurt, either).
We have received conflicting information from PayPal as have our customers, to be clear, an SSL certificate is NOT required for any layout. If you choose to use one then everything will work but it not a requirement.
- Recurring payments integrated with the Subscriptions extension